Thursday, December 5, 2013

December 5, 2013

For the last week I have been thinking about my first and only December in Ukraine.  It was magical.  The city was a winter wonderland,  and because we walked everywhere we got to see and appreciate the beautiful world around us.   Independence Square was filled with lights and frivolity and a magnificent Christmas Tree.  I loved going through the square every morning and evening and sometimes even more often as that was where I would head if I needed even as much as a spool of thread.  I loved every minute of those winter months.

This year as I read about the political unrest in that country and see the pictures of Independence Square - so very different than a year ago - my heart aches for the people of Kyiv.  How quickly things can change in just a short time.   The beautiful tree that was covered with lights is now home to protest posters.  The photographs I have seen remind me of a scene out of Les Miserables.  In some ways I am wishing I were back there to see and understand what is going on.  The people have much more to be concerned with than the gayety  that was a part of last year at this time.  Will the happy times return before Ukraine celebrates its Christmas in January.  Or will their lives be forever changed by what is happening now.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/world/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-ukrainian-protests/2013/12/05/ca25dd6c-5dbf-11e3-95c2-13623eb2b0e1_video.html

 With only twenty-two years of independence I pray for more peace and security there.  I am reminded that thirty six years after America's Independence they were once again fighting the War of 1812 against Great Britain.  The outcome resolved many issues which remained from the American War of Independence.  Who knows what  the outcome will be of this current situation in Ukraine. 

The happiness from a year ago will remain in my heart but I will be praying for my friends far away and for the safety and protection of this country.

December 2012


First snowstorm - December 4, 2012

Natasha


Happy Day at the Temple with Natasha

Walking in City Center

Snow at Tara Shevshanko Park

St. Michael's Cathedral

Great way to travel in the snow

St. Nicholas

Monestary




The Park


St. Sophia's

The Golden Gate

The Tree at Independence Square

The festivities

Independence Square

Feed the birds

The tree at night

October Palace

The fun

European Square


The Kiddie Rides at Independence Square
Post office on Independence Square


The fireworks 2012
The Long and Winding Road ahead


December 2013

December 2013


The joy is gone

European Square 2013

The Christmas Tree in Independence Square 2013

The Protest
Barricade

Independence Square 2013


And where are the Santas?






Quote for the week:


“This Christmas mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love, and then speak it again.”  Howard W. Hunter

Hope for a brighter tomorrow
Kyiv Temple - December 2012

1 comment:

  1. Karlene, this just makes me so sad to see, after viewing pictures of the square on the news this morning. It is like an alternate universe. My heart goes out to every one in Kiev. They are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete